Old 02-06-2006, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm

Default Do ants eat roots of plants?

Jim wrote:
Malcolm,

how dry was it around the broccoli? I sowed some swede seed a couple of
weeks ago in a raised bed and popped a cover over the top as it was tipping
it down at the time and it stayed there for a week.

removed it and thinned the swede and there was a lot of ant activity as the
soil had been kept quite dry. A good drenching and they seem to have
buggered off. Same would happen if other beasties had been around as well,

Jim

It was very moist at the time. I decided to water some Pyrethrum around
the roots which seems to chased them away. I must confess I am
wondering if it is worth growing brassicas. I have to put nets over
them to keep the pigeons off, Chlorophos for cabbage root fly, now
ants?? and in mid summer the cabbage white butterflies!!

Malcolm