Old 03-06-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
dc

Default Black brush algae..excess phosphates? - Excel

"Koi-Lo" None At This Time wrote in :

Mark, that didn't work in my tanks. All the Excel did was stop it
from spreading. It never turned white. It took several algae eaters
to clean up the tanks plus the Excel and micronutrients. Now however,
I have a black stringy, wiry algae none of them will eat. I'm going
through Excel like a drunk goes through a 6-pack.

Fighting algae is about finding the balance.

Not enough light for healthy plants = algae.

Too much light and not enough CO2 for healthy plants = algae.

Too much CO2 and not enough light = dead fish and algae.

Wrong temperature = algae.

Improper any of the aforementioned for plants to utilize the available
macro nutrients = algae.

Excel, which is just an organic carbon compound just helps you find a
balance in a particular area where your tank may have been lacking. You
won't have the same degree of success with it in all tanks.