Old 03-06-2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Default Ten Dollar orchids?

The plants I saw looked good to me - at least the ones in 'my' store.
And I hardly ever see seedlings listed online or retail, but perhaps I
am not looking in the right place. I'm not talking flasks here - I
don't want ten or twelve of one species or hybrid - I have nowhere to
put them (Rob's Rules notwithstanding)
There is one 'big' orchid show in my immediate area (though I heard
rumors that last time was it for this particular venue - The King of
Prussia Mall). I would deliberately look for small seedlings for two
reasons - one, they are less expensive and two, it's a lot of fun
watching (and helping) them grow up. I have a hard time justifying
$25.00 or more for a plant, but $5.00 or $10.00 is ... well, easier.
Perhaps 'Angel Plants' will jump in and start selling them for $2.49?
LOL
It is not my intention to offend the various vendors who contribute to
this group, or suggest they begin putting themselves out of business
trying to compete. I doubt that box stores will ever carry the variety
of orchids that is available from the many orchid vendors, or give the
help and advice I've gotten from the vendors I've used. That is also
worth while.
Well, time to go get my foot out of my mouth!
Bob

Ray wrote:
When I buy plants, I want to know what both the flower AND the twig look
like... A plant with an interesting twig is worthwhile, too.