Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater
Koi-Lo

Default Black Brush and green algae problems - wire algae

"Mark Baldwin" wrote in message
If you don't want algae then you need to monitor your tank parameters,
especially phospate and nitrate.

Read about the redfield ratio...
http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquar...dfield_eng.htm

You can estimate CO2 based on pH and KH...

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html

If you tap water has lots of nitrate then either use RO water or use a
nitrate sponge such as NitraZorb
http://www.aquariumpharm.com/en_gb/p...ame=Filtration

This stuff will soak up pretty much all your nitrate which won't do your
plants any good but you can use it 24hours before a water change to reduce
nitrate to zero, then when you add your new water you will add nitrate but
it will be diluted into the existing tank water.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I wouldn't need to spend a small fortune
for test kits, fertilizers and other paraphernalia just to grow some nice
plants in these display tanks..........
--
Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952.