Old 17-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Susan Solomon

Default Bye Bye Hansa (etc.)

Another beautiful lavender/purple you might want to consider for your
grouping is Moon Shadow HT. It doesn't blush in the sun, like so many other
purples; a lovely deep lavender, much deeper than Sterling Silver. Big,
healthy bush here in SoCal. Beautiful blooms, too. I have it planted in my
little rose garden by yellow Honey Bouquet and Tropicana; very nice, imho.

Sue in SoCal

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.8a32dedc503cbd7a0c632ad878f9f93b @1047845299.cotse.net...
It was nearly a year ago that I dragged home a potted, blooming Hansa and
lay a bloom on the scanner and posted it. After that--no more blooms, and
just ugly yellow-brown foliage through the fall. Not a chance of keeping
that piece of real estate--prime sun spot--esp. since I got my S&W
shipment.

So here's the current project. Triangular bed on a steepish hill. Maybe
each side of the triangle measures 15 feet--maybe less. At the top, a
Mutabilis in its second year, full of new foliage, a pretty round shape,
too. Under this, two rose holes, five feet apart. Under this, at the
bottom of the slope, three roses holes, maybe four feet apart. What I have
in my mind is purple and orange--and that is primarily what I have
soaking, too. Possibilities--colors gleaned from online photos only, so I
do need some feedback. I want a nice purple or fuschia/orange yellow
contrast. Shades of sherbety raspberry, orange and yellow are fine, too.

HT=hybrid tea
GF=grandiflora
FL=floribunda

P=Purple (includes mauves)
Y=yellow
O-Orange

Mutabilis

Heart O' Gold (GF,5ft, OY) [space for another?] Arizona (GF, 5ft, OY)

Simply Marv.(FL,P, 3ft) Judy Garland (FL,OY, 3ft) Royal Ameth.(HT,P, 3 ft)

Other possibilities for this bed: Barbra Streisand (HT, P, 4 ft); Blue
Nile (HT, P, 5 ft); Melodee Parfumee (GF, P, 4ft); Outta the Blue (shrub,
P?, 4 ft.)

I plan to pound in some of that black, foot-high, rubbery edging at the
bottom, inside the existing 18 inch concrete retaining wall. Should I do
this below each row, in a kind of mini-terracing effect? Soil does wash
down, I had to add a few bags to Mutabililis throughout the year.

Thanks for all and any input. (Even if you hate these colors together, and
I know lots of you probably do!)