Old 05-06-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default 'Rhein' Zygos

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
A while back someone was asking about a Zygo with the name Rhein something
saying they could not find anything about it. Seems there are a couple of
different Rheins out there that do not show up on Wildcat. This quarters
AQ shows a picture of Galeopetalum Giant 'Rhein Moonlight' which recently
received an AM. Seems the Rheins are clonal names, I do not know if they
are all from Galeopetalum Giant.

Pat

I wonder if this is an instance of the clonal name becoming a trade name,
like what Julian Shaw was saying in the most recent RHS hybrid list
(downloadable at the RHS website). Much like how Kaleidoscope is the trade
name for Baldan's Kaleidoscope and we see millions of these on the market.
Or Den. Emma White. I believe - but can't be sure - that these are mostly
from the huge conglomerates who try to use naming conventions applicable to
other plants on orchids, which have a naming convention and history all
their own. Shaw's comments sound like he's really frustrated about the
whole thing.

K Barrett