Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Default Bunching onion seeds that I shoulda planted in early March

zxcvbob said:

Should I plant them now, or wait until fall, or maybe next year (I know
they'll only have 50% germination at best next year.)

I'm in Minnesota, land of the almost midnight sun, and I'm not sure what
the extremely long days will do to a bunching onion seedling. The
variety is Crimson Forest.

I'd go for it. See what happens. I don't think 'Welsh'/bunching onions
(A. fistulosum) bulb up much in any case, long days or short. Or, if
you live in a mild winter area, wait until later this summer and start
them for winter harvest.

(A fresh packet next year would add less than a dollar to a seed order from
Pinetree Garden Seeds.)

(attributed to Don Marti)