Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default the charm of species orchids

OrchidKitty wrote:
This morning, I proudly held up my Phrag. ecudorenses for DH to admire.
It is blooming for the first time, and in S/H. Spouse glanced at it and
said, "Homely little thing, isn't it?" Then he looked at me as if he
wondered why I had it.

Hum. Well, it's true that there are splashier plants out there, but
ecudorenses has a modest, sincere charm that its dazzling hybird
cousins lack. Also, there is something special about having an orchid
that a person could find in the wild.

Most of my orchids are hybrids, but some growers are drawn nearly
exclusively to species orchids. Why? Is it because species can be more
difficult to grow? Or because species do have a pure, modest beauty? Or
is the grower hoping to conserve them? If you grow mostly species
orchids, do you know why you prefer them?

I found your Phrag. at;
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN
(Isn't that an adress?!)
I agree with your DH (Designated Hitter?) that it does not set me
afire, but, you probably do not relish CATTS. So many to choose from,
so little time!
Joe T