Old 08-06-2006, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

Default Staking tomatoes - first time

Mike S. wrote:
I'm growing tomatoes in pots and need some advice. The plants are now
about 12-18 inches high and I think it's time to stake them (probably
should've done that weeks ago). I don't want to damage the roots and I
don't want to spend a lot of money for something elaborate. I'd rather
just use tree limbs/sticks then to buy cages at the store.

How would I go about staking them with sticks (heavy, non breakable
ones of course)? Should I use some sort of teepee setup? I've never
done that before so any advice would be great.

A single, strong stake will do it. I went through this myself and
moved plants from garden to deck when shade/deer ruined my plot. I
find that cages are much more convenient and have gotten years of use
out of mine.
Frank