Old 09-06-2006, 08:15 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Pete Thomas

Default need to make pond safe from toddler

si wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 09:18:05 +0100, Pete Thomas
wrote:

andrew wrote:
any methods for this?

i have thought of cover it, fence it off, fill it in,
move house etc

any ideas please, granddaughter is very dear to us and we don't want a
tragedy obviously

andrew

We did this with crisscross steel that is used for reinforcing concrete.
It's quite cheap from a builders supplier who will often deliver. We
laid it on top of the stones round the edge and then added another ring
of stones on top. Needs to be at least a couple of inches from the water
surface.

Downside: an ideal perch for herons to do a spot of fishing.

We did the same, over here in the UK it's called Weldmesh. It comes in
various weights and is very cheap. Our standard size is 4 x 8 feet.

Usually it's plain steel so will rust, if that's a problem you could
get it galvanized.

Yes i remember now it's usually rusty by the time you get it. We painted
ours with two coats of dark green hammerite. That was about 6 years ago
and its still good.

Getting it to the right shape is easy but do yourself a favour and
start with some new, hi-quality blades for your hacksaw! (And fit them
the right way round!)

With ours I laid it in two pieces. Half the pond is covered with one
piece that plants grow through and doesn't need to be moved. The other
half is plant free and I can easily lift for pond cleaning purposes.

--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk