Old 10-06-2006, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Melons in New England

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:45:38 -0400, TQ wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
I have a fair amount of room left over in my garden so I'm looking for
something else to grow. I have several dozen tomato plants, green
peppers, herbs, and strawberries. I was thinking that melons of some sort
might be nice but I don't know if there is enough time left in the growing
season or if it is even possible to grow them in New England
(Massachusetts, near Lowell and Nashua). Anyone have any recommendations?

Johnny/s Selected Seeds (Albion, ME) has all types of seed suited for the
NE.

Cool season melons - 75 days...
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...gies&item=2691

Shorter...
http://tinyurl.com/lez63

Melons like hot growing conditions, so if you have an area where the
micro-climate is a tad warmer, that/s where you/ll want to sow your melon
seed.

It's to late for seeds, I'll just buy plants. However it doesn't look like
we are going to have any hot weather for a while so maybe this isn't the
year for melons. It's been raining at least 50% of the time this year.
Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that like cold wet weather.

"It's to late for seeds, I'll just buy plants. However it doesn't look
like
we are going to have any hot weather for a while so maybe this isn't
the
year for melons. It's been raining at least 50% of the time this year.
Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that like cold wet
weather."

You/re telling me that 75-day melon seed planted this weekend won/t be
ready to pick by the end of Aug? Maybe not in N ME, VT, and NH but NE
MA? What about global warming?