Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Richard Tanzer

Default blanket weed

Try putting a few small, inexpensive gold fish in the pond. If they eat the
weed and thrive, your problem should be under control. If it doesn't work
out, you only lost a few dollars.

Rich

"Pete" wrote in message
Hi Sue

I think you should do 4 things.

First, ensure there is no current in the pond. That's why I suggested
moving the pump to the base of the waterfall. A current encourages
blanket weed growth. By pumping water from the base of the waterfall, you
minimise currents.

Secondly, ensure there are enough water plants to use up the nutrients in
the water and starve the blanket weed.

Thirdly, if you don't have one, install a UV filter. Although they are
mainly to prevent algae, I find they also help against blanket weed.

Finally, having cleared as much blanket weed as you can, use a proprietary
chemical solution to kill the rest.

Hopefully, it won't return.

I did the above 4 things and I've had no problems since.

One other thing: try to minimise the use of tap water in the pond. I know
it's unavoidable sometimes though. My garage roof drains into 2 water
butts, and I use these to top up the pond

Pete

"sue ring" wrote in message
Thank you, I do have a small waterfall with one of my small pumps at the
base of where the water falls. My main pump is in the middle of the pond,
on the bottom. I have made a filter system that keeps the water crystal
clear except for the blanket weed. I went to a web site that suggested
using potassium permanganet to kill the weed but so far I have been to
fearful of what that might do. I have stripped the pond down to nothing a
few times and thought that I had got rid of the weed, only to find that I
must have missed some, somewhere.
Does that help you any? Should I move the big pump to the bottem of the
fall and the smallone to the middle of the pond?
Sue
"Pete" wrote in message

"sue ring" wrote in message
Hello, I have a smallish pond with blanket weed that was introduced by
a plant someone gave me as a present. I have been fighting this weed
for two years and am thinking that whatever I do is not working. Help
please.
I have tried more shade and bio-barley but it just seems to have no
effect.
I am going to be away and can't even think about what the pond will
look like by the time I get back.
Thanks
Sue

Hi Sue

Do you have a waterfall? If so, put the pump as near to the base of the
waterfall as you can

Pete