Old 12-06-2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default Feeding Discus in Heavily Planted Tank/Amano Shrimp

John van der Pflum wrote:
I just converted my 75 gallon heavily planted rainbow tank into a
discus tank. Currently I have 5 discus in there with plans on three
or four more.

The problem I am running into is feeding them. I am feeding them a
beefheart mixture. I have been putting it on a small saucer in the
tank so that it doesns't get totally lost in all of the plants
covering the gravel.

The big problem is my Amano Shrimp. I have several dozen in the tank
and they swarm all over the beef heart, often draggin it off the
saucer and into the plants.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a system that will allow the
discus to feed but keep the shrimp from eating everything?

I know there is always the option of gettin rid of the shrimp but I'd
rather not do that, if possible.

Your Discus will grow and eat the shrimp.
A few, very few have them make it once the fish are adults.

Try feeding cones.
Amanos are fairly aggressive feeders.

Regards,
Tom Barr