Old 13-06-2006, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew

Default venus flytrap tissue culture

wrote:
dear all
I need some help about venus flytrap tissue culture .
Is there anyone who did this method before?
I need some Information about the Medium and other important stuffs.
Please help me If It is possible for you.
Best Regards.
Mohammad Karami Nejad

I'm assuming you know about the basics of aseptic techniques etc and
have access to the necessary equipment for tissue culture. 1/2 strength
MS (macro and micronutrients) is usually a good medium. As far as where
you can get media and equipment, have a look around the Kitchen Culture
Kits website:
www.kitchenculturekit.com/index.htm They sell ready made
media in flasks and the site also provides links to other suppliers and
tissue culture sites.

Buying ready made flasks is of course more expensive than making your
own but if you're planning on doing mericloning it takes away the
hassle of adding hormones. If you just want to do simple seed raising
in flasks, by all means make the flasks up yourself (you can even
replace the MS with an equivalent concentration of fertiliser and still
get results). For home tissue culture, avoid buying supplies from the
chemical companies that supply to the research market. Companies like
Sigma will only supply to laboratories. They also won't respond
favourably to laboratory staff who purchase supplies for their own use.
I've heard a few stories of lab staff who've done this and have then
found themselves barred from legitimate purchases for their lab.