Old 13-06-2006, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Masd. exquisita trouble

OK. Believe it or not you may save this one. Luckily you are in Alaska.

Heat stress will cause a masdevallia to drop their leaves, often overnight.
Since your temps are within its normal range, I can only guess that you had
one hotter day than usual and blip! There went the leaves.

In looking up exquista I see it is from the forests east of La Paz in
Bolivia at about 1800m. Its considered a cool to intermediate grower. It
likes night time temps 50 to 56F and daytime temps 55 to 68F, not a wide
temp diurnal range.

What to do is what you've done: reduce the temps and provide more shade and
try to get it more ambient humidity (rather than soaking the root ball which
may lead to root rot.) Try giving it the cleanest water you can and
fertilize it very sparingly, if at all while its recovering (I think thats
what the spots on the leaves are from - either poor water quality or
slightly more fertilizer than it needs) You should see new leaves in 4-8
weeks if not sooner.

Luckily, you live in alaska and can provide the temp range it needs. I
think it just neds a little tweaking and you should be off an running with
your masdevallias. Looks like a cute plant!

K Barrett

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, first, yes I know Masd. are hard to grow and very touchy hense yes
I have perpetrated a most un-through killing

that being said, I have a masd. exquisitaI that has lost all but 5
leave, the ones it has now are spotted black and yellowed, that
wasn't to bad until it started dropping leaves like crazy (last
Friday it had about 15) is there any thing I can do to save it?

I had it inside 60-80F low light about 45-55% humidity, I water with
city water, weak fertilizer I put it out side this week when I moved my
plant outside for the summer (32 to 70F, usually 40night 60 day)

Any help would be appreciated if it can be saved, if not I guess I'd
better start preparing a place in the compost pile

Jack