Old 15-06-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default How do i soften my water

"Eoghan" wrote in message

I was wondering if there was an easy way of softening my water.
Maybe fiter media or anythin, except rainwater(dont trust it).
I want to keep cardinal tetra, rams and rummy-nosed tetra but my water
is to hard.

You can mix your water with distilled water from the store but that can get
costly. You can buy products online that soften water that are
cleaned/recharged with salt and used over and over. You can by an Reverse
Osmosis unit and make your own soft water. The best thing to do in many
people's opinion is try and acclimate them to your water or keep fish that
thrive in your water's hardness instead.

My Tank has been set up now for over a year, even when I out weekly
partcial water changes the hair grass algae has not subsided. My
stocking levels are low and I have even used remedies to combat the
problem but nothing seems to work

I've always kept plants in my tanks that competed with hair algae so it's
not much of a problem. More partial water changes or larger water changes
should help. Feed carefully so there's no excess food rotting on the gravel
or in the filter. If you're using an UGF try and remove the mulm that's
under it with a siphon hose. Remove as much of the hair algae as you can
with a clean old toothbrush.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.