Old 16-06-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Köi-Lö

Default Problem with nitrite

wrote in message
oups.com...
I established a ten gallon aquairum from Walmart with a Tetra 5-15
Power Filter.

I never clean the biowheel part and I never leave the filter unplugged
for more
than 1 minute while cleaning the tank.

At first I had gravel but food sifted into it causing the nitrite
levels to show dangerous. I test with strips made by jungle. I took the
gravel out and did big water changes fixing the problem.

WHEN did you establish it? Also, please purchase a fishtank gravel vacuum
hose at Wal*Mart or any pet shop. Vacuum the crud out of or off of the
gravel or tank bottom. Feed less if food is collecting on the bottom and in
the gravel. There should be no leftovers after feeding time. Feed once a
day while tank is cycling. More frequent and larger water changes will help
keep down the nitrites while your tank is cycling.

Now, the tank bottom is bare and I sweep out food particles daily.
I also have been doing more water changes but despite this the
nitrite levels remain high. The levels in fresh tap water are low,
but nitrate shows a little high.

I would replace the cleaned gravel as it's an excellent home for nitrifying
bacteria. Don't make it too deep - 1 1/2" is fine.

The other thing is the litle bag that collects debris in the power
sweeper
vaccum thingie is discolored. I tried soaking it in fresh water but it
still
seems discolored. Ive also noticed the water in the tank sometimes
looks
somewhat discolored depending on the angle I look from, but the fresh
tap
water does not.

I hope you're not using the sweeper that returns the dirty water less larger
particles back into the tank?!?!?!?! :-O

As far as aquatic life, I have a single clawed frog about half grown.

What is causing my problem? Do I need plants?

Plants help remove pollutants. Make sure they're true aquarium plants.
Some stores sell houseplants as water plants. These will soon rot and foul
the water. But you need TIME, some gravel on the bottom and remove the
excess food from the bottom with a gravel vac. Feed less. Do more and
larger partial water changes meanwhile.......
--
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: