Old 16-06-2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Köi-Lö

Default How do i soften my water

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Köi-Lö ¤1¤ôx@ôÜ1Ô.ôôô wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Sof****er fish live and breed fine in hard water.

(snipped: but they need soft water to produce fertils eggs)

Everyone's experience may be different Richard.

Charlie Drew has been breeding neons for 30 years this way. His
tapwater is 375ppm carbonate. He breeds them in soft peat water.

But we're talking about HARD ALKALINE water.

JJ Scheel documented the same thing in _Rivulins of the Old World_.

The McInnery book also says the same thing. The Authors have bred
thouands of neons anf other sof****er fish this way.

And I've noticed it's true too.

Ron Harlan who used to sell RO filters back in the 80's
had 20 years of similar experiences.

Just because you can't keep them alive for six months doesn't
really invalidate this 150 man years, just a small slice,
of empirical evidence.

Exactly! That's why I said everyone's experience is different. I'm sure
somewhere out there someone bred neons in water even harder than 375ppm
softened and acidified by peat. I didn't soften the water or lower it's PH
with peat. I hoped the tetra's would adapt to my "natural" water
conditions. But while all those fish that preferred harder more alkaline
water flourished and thrived, the low-PH, soft-water fish faded away. Again
I'm talking about *MY* natural water conditions without bothering with peat
to soften and acidify the water.

--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.