Old 16-06-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Lone Gunner

Default How do i soften my water

Its not nice to argue with Caol Gulley. Yu are not going to convince
that btch that what your saying is correct and what she saiys is just
her opinion. She probably wrote those books for those guys. I know she
wsa an understudy of Dr.Innez and a partner to "Dr. Solo"

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:14:29 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

Exactly! That's why I said everyone's experience is different. I'm sure
somewhere out there someone bred neons in water even harder than 375ppm
softened and acidified by peat. I didn't soften the water or lower it's PH

No. The calcium blocks the sperm receptor sites and the egg
cannot be fertilized in hard water. This is why for years and
years neons were considered difficult if not impossible to
breed until this was figured out. The McInnery book has the best
treatise on this.

I've kept neons and cardinals for years in hard water.

Lots of poeple have.

The thing about acid water is it keeps to a certain extent,
bacteria at bay. I always suspect clenliness, not pH or
hardness when people have trouble with blackwater fish.