Old 17-06-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Köi-Lö

Default Black Brush and green algae problems - wire algae

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:23:02 -0500, Köi-Lö ¤1¤ôx@ôÜ1Ô.ôôô wrote:

*Note: There are five "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Jolly Fisherman" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 15:04:53 -0500, "Koi-Lo" None wrote:

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I wouldn't need to spend a small
fortune
for test kits, fertilizers and other paraphernalia just to grow some nice
plants in these display tanks..........

I am a cheap son of a bitch when it comes to buying stuff. If I can;t
shop lift it or get Randy to rip it off, I do without.

Have you tried Barley Straw? It's supposed to be a cheap, safe
algaecide.

No, randy keeps easting it as he is a mushroom and mushrooms like
straw bedding.
No, I haven't tried it. They don't sell it locally and it's out of sight
online when they add S&H charges.

Like I said I am a ****ing cheap son of a bitch.
I can't afford to try everything out
there.

No time to ploay with junk I have usenet groups to destroy
I spent quite a bit on all the Sechem Flourish products and the
effect wasn't long lasting.

Guess I should not have water it down. after all like I said I am a
cheap SOB.
After the initial "boost," things went back to
where they were. The plecos and otos are helping but the "black" stuff is
still there.

Only thing else in this area thats black is my well,mmmmmm I just as
soon not divulge that ****up.
Cleaner fish & snails will only eat the shorter forms of black brush
algae. The longer forms react to CO2 and should detach after 2-3
months.

I do not have 2 or 3 months to fool around. I may try pool chlorinator
tomorrow

The sooty algae stopped growing but by no means did it fall off or turn
white as I expected it to do.

I guess I shoud not have given the fish marajuana to eat inpoace of
veggies, huh?

The plecs and otos removed most if it. Then
it was replaced by this black wiry looking stuff. Meanwhile the plants are
looking pooped again. The Amazon swords have stopped growing and the leaves
are getting narrower and smaller. Only the vals are really thriving. I do
add extra potassium but it makes no difference.

I think I may pull those ploants and feed em to RAndy tonight for a
salad. He is stupid and will not know it from Kale

If you aren't doing CO2 injection I'd reduce surface

Only think I inject is heroin, can;t you tell........
agitation as much as possible and shorten the duration of light.

Only agitatin I do is nthe usenet groups
Rather than waiting for it to fall off and vacuum it up, I'd just get
rid of as much infested plant matter as possible. There are extreme
ways of killing & removing algae with chemical soaks. But the
infested plants are probably so sick it probably isn't going to work.

Like I said, I'll pull it all and feed it to Randy

I use Flourish Excel.

I use Trojans myself unless of course I give oral then I just
swallow...

Maybe slower release substrate fertilization may be of help for
certain plants?

Guess we need to stop using the tanks for a toilet then.....

I just don't have the time and energy to tear these two 55s down and re-do
them. This is the busiest time of the year here.

I have too much to do with keeping the usenet in turmoil than fool
with these stupid plants.

From what I'm seeing a small fortune is almost inevitable as one goes
up the learning curve. I'm finding it MUCH more expensive than
fishkeeping.

Because I am such a dumbass

IMHO Aquatic gardening on a tight budget is like fish
keeping with a small tank. More precision is required, it's harder to
move forward, and mistakes have bigger consequences. Of course I'm
trying to learn on the cheap as well

I am just to stupid to comprehend all this crap

I know what you mean. :-)) I may just give up and keep those that thrive
without all the expensive supplements - the vals, hornwart, anubia, elodia,
Java moss and a few slow-growing old crypts I've had for many years. I
suppose I just wanted to see some NEW or different plants in the tanks.

I need to quite the crypts and jion the bloods like Randy said we
should

I just ordered "Algae: A problem Solver Guide" - Sprung. Maybe others
have reading recommendations that have helped them they can endorse?

I just have to find someone to read it to me now as I am one
illiterate asshole. Look that word up in a dictionary and yu can see
my picture next to it, and if yuuy want to see what Randy looks like
look up the word Moron. or mushroom.