Old 17-06-2006, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Jolly Fisherman

Default Black Brush and green algae problems - wire algae

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:23:02 -0500, Köi-Lö ¤1¤ôx@ôÜ1Ô.ôôô wrote:

snip
Have you tried Barley Straw? It's supposed to be a cheap, safe
algaecide.

No, I haven't tried it. They don't sell it locally and it's out of sight
online when they add S&H charges. I can't afford to try everything out
there. I spent quite a bit on all the Sechem Flourish products and the
effect wasn't long lasting. After the initial "boost," things went back to
where they were. The plecos and otos are helping but the "black" stuff is
still there.

I've only seen the extract in 1 or 2 aquarium specialty shops locally
(different state of course) and it's out of sight. True the shipping
and handling of either a bale or the extract makes it absurd unless
you are already ordering other things at the time.

Cleaner fish & snails will only eat the shorter forms of black brush
algae. The longer forms react to CO2 and should detach after 2-3
months.

The sooty algae stopped growing but by no means did it fall off or turn
white as I expected it to do. The plecs and otos removed most if it. Then
it was replaced by this black wiry looking stuff. Meanwhile the plants are
looking pooped again. The Amazon swords have stopped growing and the leaves
are getting narrower and smaller. Only the vals are really thriving. I do
add extra potassium but it makes no difference.

It might take some more time to fall off, then again conditions might
still be such that it is still surviving well and choking the plants
(more likely).

wish I was more of an expert here. I'm telling you mostly what I've
read in books. I've had a similar infestation. It stopped by
adjusting light and increasing nutrients. But the old algae has not
yet fallen off. Since there's a lot of new, good growth, and I've
been wanting to revamp the aquascape anyway, I'm just going to rip out
and replant.

If you aren't doing CO2 injection I'd reduce surface
agitation as much as possible and shorten the duration of light.
Rather than waiting for it to fall off and vacuum it up, I'd just get
rid of as much infested plant matter as possible. There are extreme
ways of killing & removing algae with chemical soaks. But the
infested plants are probably so sick it probably isn't going to work.

I use Flourish Excel.

I'm not 100% sure Flourish is truly equivalent to CO2 fertilization.
At least I've been reading conflicting things.

Maybe slower release substrate fertilization may be of help for
certain plants?

I just don't have the time and energy to tear these two 55s down and re-do
them. This is the busiest time of the year here.

Isn't Murphy's law a bitch?

From what I'm seeing a small fortune is almost inevitable as one goes
up the learning curve. I'm finding it MUCH more expensive than
fishkeeping. IMHO Aquatic gardening on a tight budget is like fish
keeping with a small tank. More precision is required, it's harder to
move forward, and mistakes have bigger consequences. Of course I'm
trying to learn on the cheap as well

I know what you mean. :-)) I may just give up and keep those that thrive
without all the expensive supplements - the vals, hornwart, anubia, elodia,
Java moss and a few slow-growing old crypts I've had for many years. I
suppose I just wanted to see some NEW or different plants in the tanks.

sounds like you had a good system. Maybe if you haven't given up on
experimenting, a tank with mostly tried and true successful plants
adding just a few new experimental plants might work better? Even if
the experiments are having a rough time there are enough healthy
plants to out compete algae. It may give you more leeway to either
adjust conditions or decide it's not going to work/worth the effort.

I just ordered "Algae: A problem Solver Guide" - Sprung. Maybe others
have reading recommendations that have helped them they can endorse?