View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Old 18-06-2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Posts: n/a
Default repotting phrag into Semi-Hydro question


On the assumption that you're keeping it steadily moist now, and if you can
unpot, clean, and repot without excessive root damage, it is likely the
plant will continue growing without a hitch.

Paphs and phrags seem amazingly tolerant of repotting at any time.


Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -
Plants, Supplies, Artwork, Books and Lots of Free Info!

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Ray (or others who have experience with semi-hydro already),

I have a Phrag Ecua-Bess that is currently in flower, and has been in
flower or in bud since February. I was intending to repot it to semi-hydro
once it stopped flowering, assuming that the process of repotting might
disturb it and thus it might wilt earlier (?). However, it now looks like
it may be starting two more spikes -- I have noticed new double-leaves in
two of its growths. If I wait until after its flowering season is over, I
may need to wait a while. Should I wait, or should I just go ahead and
repot it into semi-hydro? The reason why I want to repot it is that I
would like to be able to water it less frequently -- currently I water it
twice a week. However, I do not want to endanger this flowering season --
I am hoping that it will continue producing additional buds on its current
spike, and then get two more spikes, and it's going to be really neat.

By the way, thank you Rob, I got this Phrag Ecua-Bess from you for free
with my purchase of a Paph from -- I would most likely
not have risked getting a Phrag left to my own devices, since I did not
realize that it could do well in my environment, so I am glad that you
showed me otherwise. It appears to be flourishing. Shoot, now I will have
to buy additional Phrags :-( Oh, the woes of this addiction.

Thanks in advance for any advice on when it's ok to repot this Phrag.