Old 18-06-2006, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Feed the birds; not the RSPB

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:15:09 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

In article , Martin
writes
On 18 Jun 2006 16:05:49 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin writes:

| | You tell me. You're the one that claimed that "They also allow the
| | shooting of wild and game birds on their reserves". You attempted to
| | convey the impression that it was on all their reserves. You
| | have only
| | been able to come up with two.
| |
| | I don't see anywhere where he attempted to convey that impression.
| | Two is two too many.
|
| No, it's far too few. What the conservation camp followers in this
| country need is a damn sight more knowledge of ecology and preparedness
| to live with nature, and a damn sight less bunny-cuddling and birdie-
| cooing.
|
| Outraged in Tunbridge Wells? :-)

Precisely. As a basis for planning, let alone legislation, ignorant
emotion is catastrophic - and that is what we have had for the past
half-century :-(

I agree with you.

There's a difference between control and shooting things for pleasure
for no good reason.

Providing shooting for rich gents in the name of control is not what
RSPB contributors have in mind when they make their donations.

The RSPB do not provide any shooting for rich gents, or anyone else,
whether in the name of control or for any other reason.

"In addition to this NGO conservation bodies such as the Wildlife
Trusts and RSPB have wildfowling tenants
on their reserves. Examples include Montrose Basin (Scottish Wildlife
Trust, Angus), Frampton Marsh
(RSPB, Lincolnshire), Ouse Washes (RSPB, Cambridgeshire), Tetney
Marshes (RSPB, Lincolnshire).
Locally, RSPB let sporting rights to Langstone & District Wildfowling
& Conservation Association
(L&DW&CA) at the Langstone Harbour RSPB reserve. Wardening at
Langstone Harbour is a co-operative
and joint venture between RSPB, Local Authority and L&DW&CA. In many
cases wildfowling clubs lease
sporting rights jointly with conservation bodies to allow for
cooperative and integrated management. Nearby
examples include Langstone & District Wildfowling & Conservation
Association’s joint Crown Estate leases
with the Hampshire Wildlife Trust and RSPB. In some cases wildfowling
clubs jointly own freehold with
conservation bodies – e.g. Fenla nd Wildfowlers Association jointly
own c. 250 acres of the Welney Reserve
(Ouse Washes) with the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT)."

Some way to protect birds :-((

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org