Old 20-06-2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Jolly Fisherman

Default Black Brush and green algae problems - wire algae

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:08:06 -0500, Köi-Lö ¤1¤ôx@ôÜ1Ô.ôôô wrote:

snip
but all the new plants either failed or are failing despite the Seachem
additives (micro-nutrients, Excel, iron etc) and extra light fixtures on the
tanks.

Perhaps its too much light?

snip

Well there is no way I can physically handle more vacuuming and partial
water changes.

I'm not suggesting that.

I've improved the lighting and all the supplements plus
bought the plecos and otos. I feel there isn't anything more I can do at
this time.

It still seems the plants aren't getting exactly what they need-
missing nutrients (despite best efforts), too much light, etc. Are
the plants showing particular deficiencies or calcification?

snip

I use Flourish Excel.

I'm not 100% sure Flourish is truly equivalent to CO2 fertilization.
At least I've been reading conflicting things.

It's probably not but did perk up the plants, especially those that were
doing ok to start with. Or maybe it was the micronutrients that made them a
darker green. The frustrating thing is I ordered more of these products but
then the effects wore off. I added extra potassium but that had no effect
either. My sags are about dead and the Amazon swords look pretty shabby.

I believe the main ingredient of Excel is Polycycloglutaracetal an
isomeric form of glutaraldehyde, a very powerful disinfectant. Seachem
claims it is less reactive and more easily utilized by plants as a
carbon source. However one wonders if it has some algaecidal
properties. It is dangerous to aquatic life if overdosed. Frankly
I'm not excited about even handling water that has been treated with
Excel.

The iron in flourish is bound to gluconate, a carbohydrate. Seachem
claims this is an additional carbon source. It would seem it is also
accessible to bacteria and converted to sugars & CO2.

Basically these types of nutrients are beneficial to plants, but it's
easy to miss key nutrients or for them no not be as effective or
exactly as advertised IMHO.

Maybe slower release substrate fertilization may be of help for
certain plants?

I just don't have the time and energy to tear these two 55s down and re-do
them. This is the busiest time of the year here.

Take a look at:
http://www.plantguild.com/html/spot_fertilization.html
http://www.plantguild.com/html/subst...etrofiter.html

snip

That's kind of what I did. I added some "new" plants to cycled tanks that
were set up about 3 months. That was last winter. The plants in these new
setups (actually the tanks had been in an outbuilding for a few years) had
plants from a few established 10gs to get them started off. Then I bough
some new and different plants to experiment with for a change-of-scenery.
Shortly afterward the black sooty algae reared it's ugly head and from there
it's history.

These were already cycled tanks (without plants). Perhaps biobugs are
out competing the plants as well.

Expensive supplements, Excel, serious gravel vacuuming, water
changes and more water changes, more lighting..... Oddly the water wisteria
is thriving in a 10g and has wasted away in the 55s. A small ASword is
doing ok in a 10g but the ones in the 55s will be gone soon I'm sure.

It might be damaged by such strong light with no real CO2.

Even if
the experiments are having a rough time there are enough healthy
plants to out compete algae. It may give you more leeway to either
adjust conditions or decide it's not going to work/worth the effort.

Some that are failing are not covered in algae. Since I stopped feeding the
plecs the algae tabs they did remove some of the wiry algae and this evening
I noticed the plants are "cleaner" if that's the word that fits. After all
is said and done I think I'll stick with the "tried and true" as you call
them. :-)

_how_ they are failing might give you useful information- if you still
care.