Old 20-06-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dick

Default Tall, single stem plant question

I don't know its name, but I have had it in my 75 gallon tank for
years. It has a single stem with small, round leaves radiating from
the stem. I have often had to trim the tops as they would reach the
top and then lay over on the surface. I started with a few cuttings
and transfered them to other tanks. They always started easily and
multiplied. Not a great looking plant, but I like having them in the
back of the tanks. In the last year I removed them from all but the
75 gallon tank.

So, what's the problem. In the last few months the leaves fell off
stems, leaving them bare while continuing to grow taller. Unsightly!

Also, many of the leaves developed dark edges and a curl. Unsightly!

My first effort has been to thin to small bunches leaving open space
for light to reach the bottom. Also I used my finger to clear the
gravel in the open spaces of roots.

The tank is low light, no CO2, no fertilizers (other than from the
fish). It is too soon to rate the thining.

Can anyone tell me the name, and hazard a guess about the possibility
of the thining solving the problem?

dick