Old 20-06-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
profpam

Default Question about Cym. Little Balck Sambo "Black Magic" AM/AOS

I guess the question to ask is: Is it a mericlone or seed grown? If it
is a non-species (species are a bit more reliable in reproduction),
thus, color and all is not as dependable. (Incidentally, we are not
into mericlones yet.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html
Nancy G. wrote:

Nancy G. wrote:

profpam wrote:

I clicked on the link showing Little Black Sambo. Yes, I, too,
purchased one from Cal-Orchids a while ago. However, the reason for the
response is to alert the end-user that unless he/she is purchasing a
mericlone the reliability of the flower and colors is not there.
Members of our society have this one and it looks nothing like the link
shown here. This is a Cymbidium canaliculatum cross and in as far as
Cymbidium canaliculatum even the species does not appear to be a
reliable one as there are sparksii and non-sparksii, which are still
considered the same species.

Depending on how accurate the seller was, the full identification of
the orchid is Cym. Little Black Sambo "Black Magic" AM/AOS WU 510. I
don't know whether the WU 510 was from where they acquired the plant,
or from their own data base. While I know how assume can get me in
trouble, I assume that when they use the clonal name and award, that it
is a meristem or division. Also the seller used the nearly black
blooms for the picture of how the blooms should look on the plant I
will be receiving.

It was a pretty stupid thing for me to do, but I saw the listing on e
bay. I was the second bidder with 2 days to go. I did not bid with a
reserve, just one bid. Boy, was I surprised when I checked my e mail
after the weekend had won the purchase. Usually I get busy and am not
around when the listing expires and get outbid in the last few minutes.