Old 22-06-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default How do i soften my water

In article ,
Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

We do ok here. I see a lot fewe losses in stores these
days. Maybe they're finally getting the hang of it or
maybe they die before making it to shops I don't know.

Think positive.. ;-)

Well, little odd killifihs from gabon spend their lives
i npeay soft acid pools and do fine in LA tapwater whihc
is 17Dh or something liek that.

An annual species..? Does it have a common name..?

The entire genus Ahyosemion. And every other genus of killi.
I'm not aware of any that can not be kept in hard water (albeit
they MUST breed in soft water). There are hardwater killies
(pupfish ans such) that will definitly die in too soft of
water.

Similarly so other exotic
and tochy rainwater killies. I don't uy at all there
exists a sof****er fich than cannot live in hard water.
The opposite may well be true though.

Of course they will survive in harder water and might feel
well for a while - for a while..!

Long while buddy! Years and years. Tetras, barbs, dwarf cichlids,
angels, tetras, they all do fine long term in hard water IME.

Just one data point.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net