Old 16-02-2003, 03:03 AM
~ jan

Default rust algea

This looks like a promising web page to
check out
http://www.state.me.us/dep/rwm/whats...onbacteria.htm
k30a

Interesting website K30! )

Sue Walsh replied:
Checked out the site, but I don't think this is my problem as what
they are talking about is an orange slimmy substance on the water.

Further down they talk about it settled on the bottom (Orange to red
coating on bed) but if you don't have iron in your water, I'd assume you
don't have it.

What I do think is possibly going on is green algae is growing using up the
nutrients and then dies, releases the nutrients and the process starts a
new. I had it the first year or 2 myself, a bottom drain and larger fish
that swish the stuff towards the bottom drain takes care of it now.

I think you're going to be very disappointed with ponding if you don't have
patience to "Let It Be". ;o) The only quick fix is a bottom drain/skimmer.
Chemicals are a waste of money as they'll only be a temporary fix at best.

As far as the water fall, rotate the stones, of course most of the coating
will come off and accumulate in the pond. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a