Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Newbie: Growing chillies indoors

In article ,
(Dave Chalton) writes:
| Hey all,
| The plants that I overwintered, and were flowering as of the last post
| have now set fruit, and this is only half-way through March! Fresh,
| homegrown chillis for Easter, fingers crossed.
| For anyone who's interested, I would recomend trying this, even if
| only for a few of your plants growing this year - the extra effort
| required to keep the plants going over the winter (essentially just
| remeber to water them!) is more than balanced by having fruit setting
| at the point where this years plants are still only 2-3 inches tall!
| Plus, if you cut back the plants (I took them down to about 2feet, but
| this will vary with the overall height of the plant), you will get the
| plant forming secondary shoots from the leaf-bases, so you get better
| spreading of the plant, at a lower height, resulting in greater
| numbers of flowers with less plant to look after, or find space for.
| Best of all worlds

Now, that's interesting. When did you cut them back? My experience
is that chillis that are left to bear fruit heavily and ripen them
start dropping leaves. I am not sure how well they would respond
if cut back late in the year after cropping, so I assume that you
need to pick and prune earlier.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679