Old 22-06-2006, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Koi-Lo

Default Black Brush and green algae problems - wire algae

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Jolly Fisherman" wrote in message

I guess by now it's moot but I checked another of my books. It says
Black Brush Algae belongs to the red algae group. It is carried in by
plants from Southeast Asia. It thrives in nitrate rich, hard,
alkaline water and with CO2 deficiency. It mainly attacks unhealthy
plants. It claims it is so tenacious that neither suction nor removal
by hand is possible without damaging plants. It recommends
Fertilization with iron & CO2, filtration through peat (to soften the
water & lower pH), replacing old fluorescent tubes & introducing algae
eaters.

That about says it all except with all the water changes and gravel
vacuuming I was doing I don't think the water was overly rich in nitrates
and phosphates. The rest sure does apply. :-(

So I wonder if your multiple aquaclears and hard, alkaline water are
partially to blame, along with a nutrient deficiency of these new
plants. I know you have taken steps to improve water chemistry &
supplementation. I guess adding driftwood to also alter chemistry is
not sufficient or desirable.

I have a piece of driftwood in both 55s for the plecos. I talked it over
with my husband and decided to just stick with the plants that thrive under
our conditions and have for years. But you sure have been helpful
nonetheless. :-)

Frankly I think DIY yeast CO2 is a PITA
& I agree that CO2 cylinders is prohibitive. I'd pick the brains of
someone over at plantguild for kicks. Even if you don't buy anything
from them, at least you have those Lilipon tabs. :-)

--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.