Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Standard Bay Trees

In article ,
"Camilla Peake" writes:
| Can anyone inform me what the black sticky substance might be that keeps
| appearing on my bay trees. They are outside in Summer and in an unheated
| conservatory in the Winter. It drops down onto the floor tiles around the
| pots.
| Have tried washing with mild soapy water but, alas, it keeps returning.

It is a mould that grows on honeydew caused by sap-sucking insects.
Ignore the mould and get rid of the insects - washing it off is
all you need do, and that is merely cosmetic.

It is quite likely soft scale, which will appear as small, brownish
limpet-like scales usually underneath the leaves near the ribs and
on the shoots and twigs. The best way to get rid of it is to scrape
it lightly with a blunt knife - very tedious, but it works.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679