Old 24-06-2006, 12:37 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

Default Japanese Maple

wheat????

Seriously, whatever you do with the tree, I think summer is not the time to
do it.

Besides, you get to use the time to figure out what you want to plant in the
garden next spring and how you want to configure the garden, etc.

Okay, I confess to being a "well" person, and there are simply things I
don't bother trying in the summer here on the "sandy side"! Except of
course, I would never flippantly say "cut down" a tree.

Speaking of cutting down, a skanky maple near my water garden lost a 12-15'
branch in what seemed to be a minor T-storm, so that whole tree may go.
(Actually, I have been eying it for a while now, since the lawn seems to be
moving downhill, leaving the maple's roots more exposed, and they are
becoming a hazard!)

Anne

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nosmo King wrote:
In article . com, "Susan
Hogarth" wrote:
I have a lovely japanese maple sitting close to our large magnolia and
a spot we would like to use for more vegetable gardening.

Cut down the magnolia

Not going to happen! The magnolia is much bigger, older, and is a
showpiece. I like the maple, but I'm a transplant from Maryland and I
adore the magnolia and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it. It also
smells nice when it flowers which the maple never does, doesn't have
beetles eating it to shreds every summer like the maple, and stays
green all winter.

I guess we're just not japanese maple people. They are lovely trees,
but suited best for beautiful landscaping, which I am probably never
going to take up seriously (we've talked serously about growing
*wheat*!). I don't mind the maple - it has the distinct advantage of
being short and so not blocking the solar panels - but at this point I
don't particularly treasure it either. If someone would, that would be
a nice outcome.

- S.