Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Earnest Trawler

Default cats

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...
Marc W wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote

However, I would prefer they do not walk, or worse, through my
garden uninvited. In the case of dogs and people, there are a number

of
acceptable means of recourse.

And if a wild squirrel walks into your garden, you complain to WNF? :-)

ROF
LOL! My God they will 'love' you as a neighbour in your town, I would

guess.

To start with, squirrels don't cause me any problems, or at least only
minor ones which I am happy to accept.

In addition, I can trap, shoot or otherwise dispose of a squirrel and
nobody will complain. Similarly if a dog or person comes into my garden
and defaecates in the veg, I have various legal and/or socially
acceptable means of recourse.

But a cat - no, I'm just supposed to accept it. Why? And don't tell me
cats are "different". That is their "owners" problem, not mine.

I would like either the right to treat them as vermin, like a rat or
Grey Squirrel and dispose of them humanely, or be able to call on the
local council/police to deal with the owners.

--
Larry Stoter

Legally cats are an exception to the rule, (I have six of them). They belong
to me and cannot legally be harmed, but are classified as a wild animal and
therefore I cannot be held responsible in a court of law for their actions.
From my point of view that is just as well, one of my neighbours recently
decided to construct a small, shallow goldfish pond - poor goldfish never
had a chance, my cats had the lot.

Sorrry Larry, but legally you have no recourse against the owners in this
country, if you don't like it complain to your Member of Parliament.

Earnest Trawler (a newbie to this group, a jobbing gardener, and heavily
biased in favour of cats)