Old 26-06-2006, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Variation in orchid crosses

This is stupid, because I had a couple of genetics courses in school...
but I never gave much thought to variations in orchid crosses.
Probably because I only have one of each of the few I have, except for
this potinara which has finally reached blooming size. There are at
least 3 plants in the pot, which were already so intertwined when I got
it as a seedling, that I just left them together. So the first one
bloomed last April, & was beautiful, & then there was another bloom
this April, which I just assumed was exactly the same as the previous
one, & never thought to compare it with the pictures from last year. I
think it was a very close match because I didn't notice anything
different about it. Then a 2nd flower has opened this month, &
something seemed a bit funny about it, so I finally dug out last year's
photo & there are obvious differences, not big ones, but differences.
I thought this was very cool, & felt dumb not to have thought about
this before.
So I was just wondering, for those of you who grow your own from seed,
how much variation occurs in a cross between two plants, & whether the
cross is always given the same name, or if it's called something new if
the variation is really different from the average.
Forgive a dumb question which is probably pretty basic to many of you.
It's just cool to see some genetic variation happening on your kitchen
windowsill

Alison

P.S. It's a Pot. Memoria Yoshi Tsubaki, & no, I haven't got a photo of
the new flower yet; I am not digital but do plan to take a few pix if I
can get a few minutes' time.