Old 27-06-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default fishless aquarium

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Without fish in his aquarium where do you think the nitrates and
phosphates
the plants need will come from? Thin air? Fertilizer for aquariums LACK
these two major elements. I'm raising Marble Queen in water with nothing
but 5-10-5 garden fertilizer. The plant is thriving.

My god you're dangerous. Please don't ever recommend this to anyone.

Dangerous? To who? The plant (Marble Queen) is THRIVING as are the
variegated cat-tails, the pennyroyal, the pickerel rush, Elodea, hornwart
and other water plants where there are no fish to supply nitrates and
phosphates.

You can kill poeples fish

HE DOESN'T KEEP FISH!!!! Reread his message!

just by moving that plant to a tank
with fish, I've seen it happen; it was documented here 20
years ago.

Are you saying the plant RELEASED large amounts of ammonia from it's cells
and killed fish? If you fear ammonia is clinging to the plant in vast and
deadly amounts then rise it off in clean water before putting it in with
fish. Miracle Grow and garden fertilizers do not kill plants and rinses off
easily. The tiny amount that may cling to them should be neutralized
rapidly by the bacteria in the fishtank. Better yet, just rinse them off
first.
--
KL....
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: