Old 27-06-2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default Black Alge?

"Dick" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:56:55 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

I don't use any chemicals in my tanks. I rely on the fish. I feed
the fish and the fish feed the plants.

The problem is they don't. Fertilize properly and use Co2 OR Flourish
Excel and it'll go away by itself.

I had this crap for 7 years till Tom Barr convinced me if
I put fertilizer in the tank the algae will go away. He
uses CO2 I use Excel. Both work.

"The problem is they don't?" Well, excuse me, I have been misled. I
wish my plants would read your response. Maybe I could spend less
time thinning the ignorant plants in my tanks.

My tanks have been relying on their fish for over 3 years.
I have an aversion to any special additives, I am a bad, careless
chemist. I can't have as wide a variety of plants, but I am pleased
with the ones I have.

I wonder if the fertilizer may not be a contributing factor to the
problem.

dick

=======================
I'm wondering if all the additives I used contributed to the mysterious
deaths of my delicate fancy goldfish. Not one outside fish died during that
time. Nothing was added to their (outdoor) tanks. All these chemicals did
was give my plants an initial boost and slowed the black sooty algae to a
near stop. The plants reacted with a burst of new growth, but then I also
added stronger light at the same time to discourage those "toilet tank
diatoms". But then the effects wore off, the new plants started to fade
away and the old standbys we've had for years are still with us. The Excel
didn't turn any of the algae white and cause it to "fall off" the plants or
glass as I was told it would. And it's darned expensive to use all these
supplements when you have two 55s and four 10s. I'm going to stick with my
old plants that thrive under our conditions for now. The plecos and otos
cleaned most of the slowed-down algae off the plants and glass.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.