Old 27-06-2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Black Alge?

In article ,
Dick wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:56:55 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

I don't use any chemicals in my tanks. I rely on the fish. I feed
the fish and the fish feed the plants.

The problem is they don't. Fertilize properly and use Co2 OR Flourish
Excel and it'll go away by itself.

I had this crap for 7 years till Tom Barr convinced me if
I put fertilizer in the tank the algae will go away. He
uses CO2 I use Excel. Both work.

"The problem is they don't?" Well, excuse me, I have been misled. I
wish my plants would read your response. Maybe I could spend less
time thinning the ignorant plants in my tanks.

My tanks have been relying on their fish for over 3 years.
I have an aversion to any special additives, I am a bad, careless
chemist. I can't have as wide a variety of plants, but I am pleased
with the ones I have.

I wonder if the fertilizer may not be a contributing factor to the
problem.

Knockyourself out buddy. All I'm saying is I've fought algae for
30 years and what I said to do seems to fix it at the suggestion
of those pesky folks who keep entering the AGA contests.

Of course there aer people that can get acceptible results without
fertilization. But if you want "stunnning" instead of "accpetible"
then you may need to play junior scientist.

This subject has been beaten to death for 15 years on the APD list
and all thigns being equal you can grow better plants if you fertilize
than if you don't. That's not an opinion, that's an empirical
observation.

--
Need Mercedes parts?
http://parts.mbz.org