Old 27-06-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default fishless aquarium

In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Without fish in his aquarium where do you think the nitrates and
phosphates
the plants need will come from? Thin air? Fertilizer for aquariums LACK
these two major elements. I'm raising Marble Queen in water with nothing
but 5-10-5 garden fertilizer. The plant is thriving.

My god you're dangerous. Please don't ever recommend this to anyone.

Dangerous? To who? The plant (Marble Queen) is THRIVING as are the
variegated cat-tails, the pennyroyal, the pickerel rush, Elodea, hornwart
and other water plants where there are no fish to supply nitrates and
phosphates.

Of course they are.

You can kill poeples fish

HE DOESN'T KEEP FISH!!!! Reread his message!

Caps lock key broken? Exclamation mark key stuck?

just by moving that plant to a tank
with fish, I've seen it happen; it was documented here 20
years ago.

Are you saying the plant RELEASED large amounts of ammonia from it's cells
and killed fish?

I'm saying a single plant from an experimental tank fertilized with
garden fertilizer killer 24 cardinals in a 65 gallon tank when moved
there. I don't really know how or why, but putting ammonia in a tank
to fertilize plants is abou the the stupidest things I've ever heard
and in my experience is at best a very dangerous experiment.

You may be getting away with it, but you are doing just that. No
sane person would do this.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net