Old 27-06-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default fishless aquarium

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Without fish in his aquarium where do you think the nitrates and
phosphates
the plants need will come from? Thin air? Fertilizer for aquariums
LACK
these two major elements. I'm raising Marble Queen in water with
nothing
but 5-10-5 garden fertilizer. The plant is thriving.

My god you're dangerous. Please don't ever recommend this to anyone.

Dangerous? To who? The plant (Marble Queen) is THRIVING as are the
variegated cat-tails, the pennyroyal, the pickerel rush, Elodea, hornwart
and other water plants where there are no fish to supply nitrates and
phosphates.

Of course they are.

You can kill poeples fish

HE DOESN'T KEEP FISH!!!! Reread his message!

Caps lock key broken? Exclamation mark key stuck?

Apparently you never bothered to read his post.

just by moving that plant to a tank
with fish, I've seen it happen; it was documented here 20
years ago.

Are you saying the plant RELEASED large amounts of ammonia from it's cells
and killed fish?

I'm saying a single plant from an experimental tank fertilized with
garden fertilizer killer 24 cardinals in a 65 gallon tank when moved
there.

And what proof do you have the plant was so covered in ammonia it killed the
fish? Should I claim Excel and the micronutrients I've been using killed my
fancy goldfish? After all none died that were not exposed to these
products. Rise the plants off before you add them to your tank. You should
be doing that anyway. The tiny amount of ammonia, if any would be quickly
neutralized by the bacteria in the tank that housed the fish.

I don't really know how or why, but putting ammonia in a tank
to fertilize plants is abou the the stupidest things I've ever heard
and in my experience is at best a very dangerous experiment.

As is experimenting with Excel and the other products out there apparently,
since no other fish died here except those exposed to these aquarium
fertilizers. By your reasoning you need to stop recommending these products
since they killed these goldfish.

You may be getting away with it, but you are doing just that. No
sane person would do this.

You're entitled to your opinion. My water plants are thriving outside with
nothing but inexpensive garden fertilizer (5-10-5) and Miracle Grow.
Tadpoles are thriving in the same tubs.
--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.