Old 28-06-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Default Too late to grow fruit or veg?

Following up to "Jimoid" :

Hi,

This weekend I moved from a small flat to a large house with a garden.
I would love to grow some fruit or veg this year with my new-found
space, be it in the garden itself or in pots. Is it too late in the
season for me to grow anything that I will be able to harvest this
year?

Last night I went to the local diy/garden store and bought some compost
and some new pots in anticipation!

Lettuce, radishes, coriander for curries.
Get some onion sets and you'll get some from them (even if they might be a
bit small, they'll still be nice).
You could probably have success with a courgette plant (not seeds), if you
have a warm, sunny corner.

See if there aren't some autumn-fruiting raspberry plants in the garden
centre that are growing well. It might be a bit late for them.

How about some very early potatoes? If you don't want to dig, you can use
large pots or grow-bags. It's worth a try.
--
Tim C.