Old 18-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Snowdrop planting

(Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:23:52 -0000, Jack wrote:

One more question - will snowdrops grow through a lawn? I planted
some anemone blanda in my lawn and none of them have come up, so I'm
wondering if snowdrops will struggle to get through the grass too.

Although lots of gardening books yap about overplanting bulbs, I
was advised by a very experienced bulb grower that by and large
bulbs do not like overplanting. The over-plant competes with the
bulbs, and by shading the soil prevents proper warm summer
dormancy.

Grass probably qualifies as an overplanting, except in the case
of some of the larger, more strongly growing daffodils.

Oodles of example of all sorts of daffs, crocuses and snowdrops planted
very successfully under grass round here, and thriving year on year.

Best example I've seen recently: an old churchyard in Dulverton,
Somerset, with oak trees dotted about, and longish grass absolutely
glowing purple with crocuses - not just clumps, but a vast lawn of them.

A fabulous sight, and I presume largely down to natural spread because
buying and planting that many bulbs would be beyond the resources of
most churches - and they were all the same variety, too.

I have a snowdrop bank which is heavily shaded by holly and hazel trees
and north-facing to boot. I wouldn't have planted snowdrops there
myself - I'd have thought it was too shady. They have found their own
way there from next door (and I am very happy about that!)

I'm sure there are bulbs that prefer not to be overplanted, but I am
confident the common tough types positively thrive on it - here at
least.

Victoria
--
South East Cornwall