Old 18-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Dave Chalton

Default Newbie: Growing chillies indoors

Ahh, I should have been more explicit - the plants that are currently
producing in my window-sill, due to a combination of factors, did not
flower last year. In one case, this was due to planing the seeds far
too late for the Scottish growing season, since I only got them in
July of last year. That particlur plant I cut back in late October.
The other plants currently fruiting were planted in plenty of time,
but the flower-buds, when formed, dropped before opening. These plants
were cut back in the second week of November, and overwintered in a
coolish room with no direct sunlight. They were moved into a warmer,
sunnier environment mid-Feb, and promptly took off for the roof!

My appologies if this has mislead anyone, I should have put in more
detail. However I can report that one of the plants I greww last year
only produced one fruit off the first flower, subsequent buds dropping
off. I cut this plant back to just above this single fruit (which was
at the first node), and the plant regrew to the point that buds were
forming again soon after the first chile had ripened. I then got about
ten fruit off it before the weather turned too cold to let fruit set.
This one was NOT overwintered.

Currently with 46 plants, catch you all later.

Dave

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...

Now, that's interesting. When did you cut them back? My experience
is that chillis that are left to bear fruit heavily and ripen them
start dropping leaves. I am not sure how well they would respond
if cut back late in the year after cropping, so I assume that you
need to pick and prune earlier.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679