Old 18-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default Going bats! Bathouse questions....

(mypet) wrote:

You know the guano thing really had me puzzled when I saw the
suggestion to hang the bat box on the side of a house? I think I want
to put it in an area that I won't have to shovel bat poop.

DH is less than thrilled about my bat research and has been doing some
checking on his own and came up with a post that stated hummingbirds
did away with alot mosquitoes by feeding them to their young. Has
anybody here come across statistics on the number of mosquitoes a bat
would eat in comparison to hummingbirds, swifts, dragonflies, etc.? I
can tell I'm going to have to do a hard sell for him to help me put up
the houses.

Bats DO NOT eat many mosquitos,if any. Mossies are way too small
for a bat to bother with. Bats eat mostly moths and other
"bite-sized" insects. They will eat those big flying
cockroaches, and they also hunt the treetops for cicadas and
caterpillars.

Hummingbirds will nab tiny flying insects like whiteflies, so
mosquitos are probably eaten.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both