Old 18-03-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

Default Going bats! Bathouse questions....

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 05:48:56 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

Bats DO NOT eat many mosquitos,if any. Mossies are way too small
for a bat to bother with. Bats eat mostly moths and other
"bite-sized" insects. They will eat those big flying
cockroaches, and they also hunt the treetops for cicadas and
caterpillars.

Not true for all bats. Mexican free tail or brown bats are the size of my thumb and
certainly do eat their fair share of mosquitoes. Hummingbirds eat nectar and small
spiders, an occasional flying insect.

Hummingbirds will nab tiny flying insects like whiteflies, so
mosquitos are probably eaten.

Tsu

Where do you get this information from? I'd like to take a look at it.

Otherwise, I refer people to Bat Conservation at www.batcon.org who indeed do know
what they are talking about, have done much research and are on top of bat culture,
so to speak.