Old 02-07-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default Slippery floors and spa algaecide

I would imagine Gene IS right about pants, but he's certainly right about
PLANTS, too!

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
I use a pressure washer in the GH, too, as a way to remove algae from
floors and glazing. A 1% bleach or 0.17% Physan solution is a great way to
prevent the return of the stuff, but that means you actually have to
remember to (or have the time to) spray periodically

Gene's right about pants, though. Cymbidium leaves don't take to kindly
to 1500 psi...

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Susan,

Be careful....Vinegar is an herbacide. You can use it to kill weeds and
everything around them. I would expect it might kill orchids. Watch
your
overspray.

I bought an inexpensive pressure washer and clean up the greenhouse with
that. Just don't hit the leaves by accident. One of my phals is still
recovering from a hit last year.

Gene

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On 1 Jul 2006 16:58:07 -0700, "jtill" wrote:

Susan Erickson wrote:
Slippery floors and spa algaecide

Ok, so I have this stuff. But I have never used it. I have a
problem
with slippery floors due to the high humidity. What is the "normal"
amount to a 2 gallon watering can for a less slippery walk? The
stuff
just says if algae is present, use 13-15 oz for 1,000 gallons of
water.

Now I figure even if I take that back to the amount for 2 gallons, it
is not going to be "recycled thru the system," so this is a one shot
and I have it or not. Does anyone use this anymore?

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

I tried one brand of that algaecide on my carwash walls and floor with
no success.I think it is designed to stay in solution and work over
time. I went back to a 50% bleach solution thru a garden sprayer. After
10 min. a stiff water spray wash knocks it, the algae, off. You have to
stay upwind of the bleach. A 10% solution probably would be better for
a closed greenhouse. Vinegar also works.

Joe T

In that case maybe I'll try vinegar - it is cheap.