Old 02-07-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default Black Alge?

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Koi-Lo My impersonator is Roy TJ Hauer aka Roy. wrote:

Evidently chloride ions don't build up because the outdoor plants thrive.

And if you cut a frogs legs off and tell it to jump and it doesn't it's
obviously deaf.

Well I guess they're salt-water pond plants then, as they're thriving as
seen on my website. ;-)

Water changes would have taken care of any buildups I believe.

No. Do the math.

What math? You already said fertilizers don't build up with massive 85%
water changes. You add Greg's products then do weekly water changes which
prevent build-ups. That's changed now to water changes don't prevent
build-ups? That even when removed the fertilizers build up?

Well, if I decide to replace all the plants that faded away I will
definitely try to find someone who can advise me on the correct amounts to
add to my tanks. This time I'll make sure I get plants that can tolerate
my
hard alkaline water. No amount of fertilizer is going to make them live
and
flourish in the "wrong" water.

Incorrect. Plants do better in hard water. And Tom's estimative index
whose
link has been posted here many times gives you the correct amounts.

I saw no estimate index for 55g tanks and 10gs with different fish loads and
different Hardness and PHs. Odd that soft water, acid water plants do
better in hard alkaline water for you.

I believe you also said you only have a few small fish in your tanks.
Mine
are at capacity and goldfish produce a lot of waste.

Hence the ammonia hence the algae. No surprise here.

What ammonia? These are cycled tanks. Are you claiming all test kids are
wrong?

High nitrates and phosphates don't cause algae. Ammonia does.

If there was high ammonia in the tanks the fish would have suffered

Not true. They are remarkably tolerant. Try Amano shrimp, THEY'RE
completely intolerant of ammonia, that is, by the time it registers on
a kit, they're dead already.

No thanks. All I can get here are unattractive feeder shrimp.

In a tank with no nitrate added and a phosphate removing
product - algae grows very well.

So nitrate alone (with phos removed) caused the algae? High nitrate and
Phos together does not cause algae - only Nitrate alone - what about the
ammonia? Did the POTASH cause the algae then? Where does the ammonia
come
in and what was the ammonia readings on your test kit when the algae
appeared? Mine always reads zero ammonia and around 20ppm Nitrate. I
have
no idea about phos levels since I don't have a kit.

No, higt nitrate and high phosphate do NOT cause alage, they prevent it.

I see. Then the biologists that had Phos' removed from detergents were all
wrong about Phos. It was really ammonia in these products that turned
lakes and rivers green with algae? Odd how when the phos was removed the
algae went with it.

Do the right thing and things will be fine.

And the right thing is to buy all GregWatson's products and just start
using
them willy-nilly and the plants will thrive and the algae will go
away?!?!?!

No, use them according to the formulas every body else has and does and
has success with that's been posted here hundreds of times the latest
being
the day before yesterday.

I see no post with "formulas" for 55g and 10g tanks at capacity...... it's
not on my news-server. Nothing about how much to add depending on lightly
planted and heavily planted tanks or tanks with light or heavy fish loads.

Hummm... that's pretty much what I was told the Excel and Flourish
products
would do. :-) Since I'm not a chemist nor can I afford the accurate test
kits on the market I have little chance to guess the correct amounts to
add
to my aquariums.

You don't need any test kits.

Why, since you said above that massive water changes don't really remove
"build-ups" of excess fertilizers. How then do you remove any excess if
water changes don't remove them? How you know there even is an excess?

1) Remove all the alage you can mechcnically.

Yes, I've done that several times with the help of the plecos.

Keep doing it.

2) Change 85% of the water a day for two days

I already went that route then used the recommended products - Excel, the
mirconutrients, the iron......

You need to do it again, stop addking KCL and ass KNO3.

What do you mean do it again? I never stopped doing it. So you'e claiming
it all that ammonia that the test kits can't see nor can I stop unless I
remove the fish from the tanks causing the algae? Just the opposite of what
scientists found to cause it in lakes and rivers. And ammonia still reads
zero. Geeze and I just started adding it (extra MofPo about 2 weeks ago).
The Seachem products and endless water changes had 5 months to work before
that and didn't do much more than turn some plants greener.

3) Fertilize properly.

I am fertilizing properly according the the Seachem products I bought from
Foster & Smith.

You are not adding nitrate. You need to.

How much nitrate per 55g tank of goldfish. A 10g tank of platys and 10g
tanks with 2 GF each. There is no message with the correct formula on my
news-server giving amounts depending on fish and plant load, etc. Also
since you said above that water changes don't remove excess fertilizers it
could be dangerous to the fish to overload the tanks.
--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.