Old 03-07-2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Why does my fertilized lawn look even better where I also planted tree food spikes?

On 2 Jul 2006 13:02:29 -0700, wrote:

I can't complain about my lawn (well, I guess I can hence this message)
but I'd like to know why my lawn looks even better in little circles
around where I've inserted some basic food spikes to feed trees and
shrubs. The lawn is even more vibrant and a darker green.

The grass is feeding off of the nitrogen from the tree fertilizer
spikes.

On the lawn itself I'm doing basic things: using Turf Builder as
prescribed, aerating twice a year, watering 2-3 times a week. I'm in
San Francisco, so climate is not too hot. Again, it looks decent
overall, but markedly better where the spikes have gone.

Obviously, the spikes are providing even more nutrients, and, it seems
to me, that means I could be fertilizing my lawn even better. But, I'm
a little hesitant to just up the dosage of the Scott's as I think
that's a surefire way to burn out the lawn.

You could apply the fertilizer more often and at a lower rate. That
is, apply the same amount of fertilizer but twice as often. You can
safely add organic fertilizers in addition to the lawn fertilizer.
Unless your lawn is very dry, I doubt there will be any burning. I
hold off fertilizing during drought times, unless I'm using an organic
fertilizer. Over-fertilization using inorganic fertilizers can cause
a variety of undesirable conditions.

Is there a particular extra ingredient in tree / shrub spikes that I
might consider?

Thanks,

- TK