Old 06-07-2006, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pea_thrower

Default Black butterfly

Janet Galpin wrote:
The message
from Robert contains these words:

In message .com,
pea_thrower writes
Can somebody please help me to identify a black butterfly I've seen a
couple of times over the past month in my garden. As far as I've been
able to ascertain, it is jet black with no other markings (although it
won't stay still longer enough for me to be certain).

A far as I am aware there are no plain black butterflies native to
Britain, however, there are some which could perhaps appear to be black
- the Ringlet, upper wing surface is dark brown, or the Purple
hairstreak which is dark brown (purple in the sun). You may want to
have a look at
http://www.butterflygarden.co.uk/az_butterflies.htm or the links at
http://www.butterfly-guide.co.uk/links.htm
--
Robert

Ringlets have certainly been flying in the last couple of weeks rond
here (S. Lincs) and appear black. They actually have a couple of faint
spots on each wing but they rarely settle and you can spend ages waiting
for them to be still enpough to see clearly.

Janet G

Thank you Janet & Robert, the mystery remains unsolved. The butterfly
I've seen that most resembles mine is a black swallowtail, but.........
I don't believe it can be found in the uk and I could not spot any
markings whatsoever on it.