Old 18-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Rick

Default Dying new growth

This year I bought 6 bareroot roses from Edmunds. I followed the planting
instructions to the letter for 3 of them. On 2 I did the same except for
mounding around the canes and on one, left it a bucket of water for a week
then just planted it. Of the three that got the mounding around the canes I
waited until I saw 2-4 new growth popping out before removing the mound.
There was alot of new growth under the mound, blanched from no sun. The
growth outside of the mound is doing wonderfully but the growth under the
mound has just died off and no new growth can be seen from those canes. Why
would this happen? The
2 roses that never got the mounding have alot of new growth and are very
healthy. The one that got left in the bucket of water for a week is doing
just fine also. Maybe mounding here in So. CA just doesn't need to be done,
I have no idea. Can anyone explain to me why the mounding roses new growth
has died off and is there anyway to get them jump started again to get new
growth?

Thanks to all for even reading this post.

Rick
In Chula Vista CA