Old 07-07-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Jones

Default Black butterfly

Malcolm wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
On 6 Jul 2006 06:37:39 -0700,
wrote:

To be honest, I'm not certain if it's a moth or butterfly. I've only
seen it in broad daylight and it seems to be "built" like a butterfly.

Moths settle with their wings spread, butterflies close their wings on
settling. It would also help to know what plants you saw it on or
near.

Sadly, that's not quite a 100% guide as a few moths settle with their
wings spread just as a few butterflies close their wings on settling.

If you can persuade one to sit still long enough to check, then all
butterflies have antennae with club-shaped endings, while no moth does.
Though I admit that isn't all that helpful!

What you say is true Malcolm, but the trouble is that the Burnet moths have
nearly clubs shaped endings and they fly in the day. Inexperienced people
might have difficulty with that.

The true difference is the presence of a hook and clasp structure called a
frenulum holding the fore and hind wings together.

However, The australian Regent Skipper butterfly has a frenulum structure in
the Male only.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/